Monday, July 12, 2010

Talkin' Turkey!


As much as I hate the thought of leaving bella Roma, I have to admit that I am really getting excited for my next travel destination - Turkey! I will be spending the first week in Istanbul with my brilliant group of Honors students and my colleagues from the University of Washington. This will be an amazing adventure. I have been to Istanbul before, but only for a few days - it will be fantastic to return. And since we have hired a professional tour guide for the entire week I will actually get to relax and see the sites con calma! The mosques, the museums, the food, a cruise down the Bosphorus ... and of course the Grand Bazaar and Spice Market! Weeee!


And, after the students leave, my friend Marina and I are off to explore the Turkish Aegean coast. We have a whirlwind trip planned - we will take a short flight from Istanbul to Izmir, heading to Selcuk where we will spend some time exploring one of the greatest ruined cites of the western world - Ephesus. Next, a brief stop in Kusadasi to pick up our rental car, and then we are off to exciting Bodrum (ancient Halicarnassus). From there we will venture further down the coast to the Lycian tombs and beautiful beaches of the Turkish Mediterranean, searching for the Chimaera. Last but not least, we will have one night in stunning Fethiye before heading over to the Greek island of Rhodes where we catch our flight back to Rome.

You can bet I will be posting from all of these places, reporting back on the local sites, smells, sounds, and tastes ... not to mention the unique shops and artisan goods I encounter along the way.

Seninle sonra görüşürüz! (whoa!)

LS

2 comments:

Rachel said...

Hi Lisa,
Love reading about all your amazing finds around the world. I'm sure you'll find a lot of incredible things in the markets throughout Turkey.

I'd love you to check out PinkPangea.com, a new community for women travelers to get real travel information geared specifically to women.

It would be great if you could post about your shopping experiences in Italy or Turkey, providing anecdotes and photos from your time abroad. You might also want to provide tips for women travelers who also want to get out there.

I look forward to hearing more about your experiences abroad!

Hope to hear from you soon,

Rachel
rachel@pinkpangea.com
www.PinkPangea.com

savvy stitch said...

I randomly found your blog and have enjoyed reading some of your posts--especially the ones about the flea markets in Italy. I went to the University of Washington and am currently living in Copenhagen. It looks like you are having an amazing adventure!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails